Anyway, with the help of one of the camp counselors, on Monday we had our first successful video-capturing flight! Here's a short excerpt from the video - as you can tell from the audio, we were having a little trouble getting altitude and needed a little help from the campers :)
Edit: Nix that for now, I'm having trouble
getting an excerpt from the video.
Will add it later.
It was really helpful to have a second person with me. Winston did all the work attaching the camera rig to the kite line and making sure the camera was recording before takeoff, while I made sure the kite kept flying steadily. I have definitely learned that the process of kite aerial photography is as much practice as it is preparation.
On a final note, the video quality was limited by the fact that we flew an expendable camera. Now that we have refined our technique a little bit, we can hopefully go towards upgrading the camera. Also, maybe helium will be back on the market soon so we can switch back towards our friendly, reliable, non-crashing, wind-independent giant balloons! Balloons are seriously so much easier than kites, guys.
Man, it's been quite a saga trying to get this camp activity working! I'm glad we finally made it happen. Thanks for following along!